ZMI Altar guide

Feel free to make any guide that could possibly lead to an events.
Moroku
High Council
High Council
Runescape Name: Moroku
Custom Title: Shima

ZMI Altar guide

Post by Moroku » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:04 pm

ZMI Altar Guide!
by Moroku, for the RC'ers of TPL

Introduction
The Ourania Altar, AKA the ZMI altar, is located just southwest of Ardougne, west of the Khazard battlefield. Although a bit chaotic in nature, this weird altar gives great experience to those who know how to use it, and is arguably the best Runecrafting experience in the game. However, it's also pretty dangerous, so you should consider either crafting in the more crowded, official ZMI world (world 70), wearing your best d'hide, or both, to prevent damage from aggressive monsters in the area. Although this altar gives you pretty much random runes and only allows you to use pure essence, it gives you DOUBLE EXPERIENCE for all runes you craft! It's also possible to craft runes you don't have the level to make here, including soul runes.

Getting There
There are 2 main ways to get to the ZMI altar:
-Beginner: Walk from the spirit tree (Khazard battlefield) to the altar bank
-Advanced: Teleport using the Ourania teleport spell on the Lunar spellbook, requires 71 Magic (you'll also have to talk to Baba Yaga on Lunar Isle after finishing Lunar Diplomacy to unlock this)
Blue: Ourania teleport spot
Yellow: Route to follow to get underground
Green: Prayer altar
Purple: Entrance to underground ZMI cavern

After entering the cavern, you'll have to run south, then east, to get to the Ourania altar. The path you will be going down holds some Zamorak mages, warriors, and rangers, which will attack you unless occupied by something else.
Green: Banker (costs 20 runes of one type)
Yellow: Route to follow to the altar
Blue: Ourania altar

From this point on, the guide will be divided into 2 sections: the ZMI beginner setup, and the ZMI advanced setup.

Beginner
Most beginners will have less access to good spells and weight-reducing gear. If this is the case, you'll have to take a simple, but more expensive, approach. Your equipment should consist of any weight-reducing items you have, such as the Boots of Lightness, and you should wear dragonhide to prevent most damage. Other than that, most equipment is interchangeable. You could, for example, use a staff for defensive bonuses. Your equipment should look something like this:

Step-by-step:
1) Withdraw a lot (at least 1000) of one type of rune, the RC pouches you will be using, and pure essence (regular essence WILL NOT WORK) from your bank at the Grand Exchange. Fill your pouches, and top off your inventory with pure essence. Your inventory should look something like this:
2) Go to the spirit tree, and teleport to the Khazard Battlefield tree.
3) Run west until you come to a lava area, then follow the path to the underground entrance. You may wish to activate protection prayers.
4) Run all the way to the altar. Use all the essence in your inventory and pouches.
5) Run back, to the bank near where you entered the cave. When you choose to bank, am interface will come up, and you will have to select the type of rune you will be paying the 20-rune fee with. The interface will look like this:
6) Pay the rune fee, withdraw more essence, top up your pouches (right-click option, fill), and run back to the altar to craft again. If your prayer is low, go up the ladder and recharge it at the altar.
7) Repeat steps 4-6.

Advanced
If you're a more experienced player, you should have access to better spells and weight-reducing gear. Also, you may not need to use prayers or dragonhide due to high Defence and Magic to prevent damage. You will be using Lunar spells to teleport to Ourania, to Lunar Isle, and back again. A staff that provides unlimited earth runes is needed, as is the Seal of Passage you got from Lunar Diplomacy. Agile would be the ideal weight-reducing gear to wear, as it also provides decent defensive stats. Your equipment should look something like this:

Step-by-step:
1) Make your way to Lunar Isle and switch to Lunar Magicks at the Astral altar.
2) Bank (make sure you have your Seal of Passage equipped). Withdraw about 200 Law and 400 Astral runes as a base amount, take out and fill your pouches, and fill your inventory with pure essence. Because of your crafting, these base amounts should only increase, and thus you won't be really using any runes. Your inventory should look something like this:
3) Teleport to Ourania. The spells you will be using are highlighted here:
Red: Ourania teleport
Green: Moonclan teleport (near Lunar bank)
4) Follow the path to the underground entrance and climb down.
5) Run to the altar. Craft all the essence in your inventory and pouches.
6) Teleport to Lunar Isle.
7) Bank just west of where you appeared by teleporting. Top up your pouches and inventory with pure essence.
8) Repeat steps 3-7.

And there you have it! The ZMI altar is a great way to level up Runecrafting quickly because of the double experience, even though the runes are random. Also, if you have a decent Runecrafting level, most of the time your essence will be paid for by the runes you make. However, you don't make much money by RC'ing this way. ZMI is mostly done for the experience, not the money, unlike regular Runecrafting.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post them here and I'll get back to you soon. Happy Runecrafting! :happy:
Last edited by Moroku on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

How far will you go for love?

Fmichael
Retired Members
Retired Members
Runescape Name: .

Re: ZMI Altar guide

Post by Fmichael » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:16 pm

If you are tele'ing to Lunar just to use the bank, Can't you talk to the pirate banker without a seal of passage?

Moroku
High Council
High Council

Post by Moroku » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Yes, but it's much quicker to bank if you do have one, because even if you click a different banker it won't matter. Therefore, you won't waste time getting thrown off the island or anything if you just wear the Seal.

Penguintin
Retired Members
Retired Members
Runescape Name: Penguintin
Custom Title: TPL's #1 miner

Post by Penguintin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:55 pm

Wow Very nice guide :)

Egrules
Retired Members
Retired Members
Runescape Name: egrules4ever

Post by Egrules » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:07 pm

Nice guide should help when I start RCing :)

Thanks Zerox!

Boe
Retired Members
Retired Members
Runescape Name: Rex Boe
Custom Title: The Fox

Post by Boe » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:28 pm

I used ZMI recently and would just like to address a few things I do differently that can be considered :)
I don't like the double teleporting, instead after crafting I teleport to Ourania and just pay 20 body runes to bank there. Also to speed up banking I deposit all into a seperate tab then just quickly grab pouches, 20 body runes (have the last used option as 20 so you can one click it), and hit all on ess. Then I filled pouches w/o closing bank and restock on essence and run to altar. This makes banking cost 40-60 gps depending on cost of body runes (you can also use fire or mind). Also I think its personally easier to RC on a non-ZMI world but thats just me. Unforunately I don't have agile but just d-hide legs gives me enough defense without having a lot of weight (for those of us without agile).

tuck815
council
council
Runescape Name: tuck815
Custom Title: BEAST

Post by tuck815 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:34 am

well i just read this whole thing At 1130 but...
great job i love it And i will probably use this guide when i get to that level
-DAVID (tuck815)
Just lift.

Sylver3lader
Retired Members
Retired Members
Runescape Name: Sylver3lader
Custom Title: 3lader

Post by Sylver3lader » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:06 am

Another tip: Make your bank completely full. It reduced the time for having to deposit and withdraw the pouches. Just Use the deposit all button on the bank screen.

Peeps are probably wondering "wtf". Well jsut try it. completely fill your bank with **** u find anywhere. In your inventory, all u need is pouches, fire runes (or any other runes to bank at ourania) and the runes to tele to ourania. It takes away the need to deposit each rune one type at a time and the need to withdraw pouches. It actually saves time.

I use the broken rocks to my advantage. (The random ones u get from skilling). I pull them out of the backpack and deposit enough to make my bank completely full ^^

I explained it kinda bad, but that's how I do it ^^

Very nice guide though moro =D. If only it came two weeks earlier XD Woulda saved me the crazy hassle of finding a good zmi guide haha.
February Goals:

Moroku
High Council
High Council

Post by Moroku » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:00 am

Boe wrote:I used ZMI recently and would just like to address a few things I do differently that can be considered :)
I don't like the double teleporting, instead after crafting I teleport to Ourania and just pay 20 body runes to bank there. Also to speed up banking I deposit all into a seperate tab then just quickly grab pouches, 20 body runes (have the last used option as 20 so you can one click it), and hit all on ess. Then I filled pouches w/o closing bank and restock on essence and run to altar. This makes banking cost 40-60 gps depending on cost of body runes (you can also use fire or mind). Also I think its personally easier to RC on a non-ZMI world but thats just me. Unforunately I don't have agile but just d-hide legs gives me enough defense without having a lot of weight (for those of us without agile).
Regarding the double-tele'ing: yes, your method is good too. This is just a basic guide. :)
Regarding the non-ZMI world RC'ing: yeah, some people lag a lot due to different ping's, and there are lots of people there to make you lag. If this is an issue, even advanced players should probably wear some d'hide for protection, as you said.
Regarding banking: what I mention in the guide is just generalised. Banking can be done thousands of ways, most of which are equally effective.

Thanks for your comments; keep them coming guys! :happy:

8mg
Followers
Followers
Runescape Name: Teh Skul
Custom Title: :O

Post by 8mg » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:27 pm

Thanks for the guide. I haven't done this yet, but when I will I'll use this guide =]