The Phoenix Legions: Origins

Tell your stories of everyday life in Runescape or even make up one! Or write a poem for us!
Faybro
Followers
Followers
Runescape Name: Tjk
Custom Title: Jack of all trades

The Phoenix Legions: Origins

Post by Faybro » Wed May 19, 2010 8:09 pm

I'M TOO LAZY TO REREAD THIS. IGNORE ANY ERRORS OR LACK OF FUN.

Ah yes... A tale as old as the third age itself, the heroism completely overshadowed by the events of the Third Age... Some know it as a fable, some know it as a true history, but only a few know the truth. The tale of what had actually happened. The lies burnt from the truth.

The third age was a time when there was no knowledge of the dragonkin, dragon armour had not existed, peril wrought the land, and the wilderness was once a land brimming with potential. Varrock was Avarrocka, and Daemonheim... Well, we won't talk about that. The knowledge of RuneCrafting was strong, and as was magic. The methods were crude, but they worked.

To the TPL:
Don't feel insulted or complimented for your role (or lack thereof) in this story. I took bits and pieces of some of the traits of the namesake of the character in the story, but I'm not going to spend a bunch of time explaining them so you don't feel insulted (or complimented). Just enjoy the story for what it is - a work of fiction.

To everyone else who reads this:
Oh, yeah, and before you say "If it is only that small, how can it have so many people?" Well, it's due to something very difficult to explain, something only the most observant of RS nerds would know. Pretty much, in game, you view things at a scale - walking from one Varrock bank to the other could take a matter of weeks, even months.

~~~~

A trading outpost was built in the Wilderness, as it was in a quite common path for adventurers. It was a great place to sell the supplies you haven't a use for, and it was on a common trail taken by most who travel north from where Falador lies now. The trading post grew to a small town slightly larger than Rimmington of today. It reached it's largest point when it's temple was built in the north western corner of town. All that remains now is this temple and the graveyard to the south, which grew huge in size after the war that takes place later on in this story. Two statues of the same figure has been built at the temple, yet we know not who made it.

The town, which was known as Forinthry before it had been reborn as Farradorn, and then Falador miles to the south, had it's first people to settle there on an uncertain date. Seven peace keepers, with seven differing professions, ensured the safety of the town. Arthereon, the master of precision; Bankaii, the master of metalwork; Michael, the master of flames; Drithlyn, the master of herblaw; Soul, the master of invocation; Thedes, the master of chemistry and alchemistry; and Wheyn, the master of commandeering. They all, although they are masters of their respective trades, are quite proficient in all other trades, specifically that of swordsmanship.

All across the wilderness, a group of Zamorakian forces, the 69th armada, fought and killed simply for destruction, in hopes of pleasing their god. They destroyed as much as they could, small towns and big, gaining infamy. I am sure that it must have been rather cliche and obvious that the "seven peace keepers" are going to end this army. With that said, and without further ado, the story shall start.

1 - Sunrise and Sunset

The seven peace keepers stood like statues as they faced the rising sun on the hill that bordered their village. It was an exercise to calm the mind and the spirit for the day ahead, rejuvinating far beyond the abilities of normal sleep or potions. However, this was not calming. Not this time. It was Drithlyn who first noticed the Banner, the flag that rose above the horizon, a black silhouette in the rising sun. She turned and dashed down the hill, motioning for the others to follow, as they did, to ensure that the army had not seen them. Drithlyn explained the situation.

"We haven't a choice but to defend ourselves - word has it that this army has been burning down towns throughout the city. They are the 69th Armada, as they call themselves, and as seen by their insignia emblazoned upon their platemail. They are said to have a flying bird of flame at their command." Wheyn said with an affirmative air. "Soul and Thedes, we must have you warn and ready the townspeople, but remain calm and quiet. We must find as many who are willing to help protect us. Bankaii, ensure those who are willing are well armed. Drithlyn, Artheron and Michael, we need you to watch from the separate hills and report back to me." Soul and Thedes set themselves off to the task, to other sides of the town. Bankaii exhausted his resources of ores and bars from bronze to runite, but now every soldier was armed. Drithlyn, Arthereon and Michael reported back to Wheyn, who was fletching extra arrows and bows, only to say that there truly was some bird of flame with the Zamorakian Troops. They also confirmed that they were indeed to fight the 69th armada, who were about 2 hours walking distance to the town. As the day went by, the army remained vigilant and waited. Something had seemed to slow the Zamorak Troops for a bit, it was unkown what kept them, but they hadn't stopped.

Sunlight dimmed. Shadows grew longer. Time had stilled, every breath hung in the air. People stayed in their appropriate battle positions for minutes that felt like hours. The sun has set, and Wheyn had given each other six members defend six seperate sections of the town - Soul at the temple, Drithlyn at the North East entry to the town, Thedes at the East entry to the town, Michael at the South East entry to the town, Bankaii guarding the center, and Arthereon working with Wheyn to command the army.

It was a stereotypical army set up - the lesser army guarding their town in a weaker armour of runite, adamant, mithril and steel, and few Kin Steel (known to you simply as "third age") armour. However, the much larger Zamorakian army wore Kin Steel trimmed bright red. The sunset was halfway through it's cycle when the Phoenix burst down from the hill, unable to wait for the legion behind it. Forinthry archers shot from behind rocks to no avail while a trail of death was left by the flames of the Phoenixes mouth.. The Zamorakian Army charged towards their opponent.

2 - First Strike

"What is that?" Wheyn shouted to Arthereon over the tumult, who responded, "I don't know - it has the body of a phoenix, yet the fiery breath and the rage of a dragon!". Wheyn caught an arrow on his shield and stabbed a soldier through the chest. Meanwhile, the Phoenix charged over to the town. Arthereon picked an arrow out of the air as it whizzed past and threw it back to it's master. Wheyn, realizing the troops had not assumed the positions they discussed, shouted over to them to form their barriers. Four groups, Alpha, Beta, Centauri and Delpha, formed a barrier,yet the army was easily overcome. Wheyn has been broken from contact with Arthereon when he was caught in a duel with an elite of the 69th Armada. Wheyn could gain no advantage over him. Swords clanged on shields around them. Wheyn, in a last ditch effort, rolled behind the man and attempted to slash his back. However, what fell him was a knife thrown by Arthereon. The army was disorganized as a wave of warriors on horseback burst forth from the center of the opposing forces, killing all they could as they journeyed to Forinthry.

3 - Entryway

Thedes had been mesmerized with the battle she could not join, and had been surprised to see no intruders to her entry. She had ten soldiers with her. They were in an allyway, in a perfect point to examine all entries and exits, as well as the road, without being seen. After awhile, she asked, "Soldiers, this is one of the key access points to the town resources, why have we yet to be attacked? Do any of you have an idea?" When she got no answer or guess, she turned around. There was only one soldier remaining with blood on his armour, and the nine others dead, the blood shining in the blazing rooftops.

"Why, if we killed the defenses from the inside first, there would be no fight. I assure you that if you surrender now, you will not have a painful death." The man said with a sneer, as he removed a blade from it's sheath. "If I can kill these nine men without you noticing, surely one weak little woman shouldn't be so hard?" A flare of anger rushed through Thedes, but, she said in response,

"I may be weak, but what behind you is not." Thedes said. The man replied with a laugh, dismissing this as a futile attempt to distract him. However, Thedes simply muttered a simple alchemy spell - one that the least experienced could master. Four tiny bursts of energy destabilized the iron cable supports of a rather large plank of wood that was created as a test to create a protecting solution. The light fizzled, and dissipated. The cables were partially of gold on some sections, and iron on the others. The combination did not deal with forces well, as the gold was warm and soft. The cables snapped, and the large plank fell plainly from the sky and landed behind, not on the man. However, it provided enough of a distraction for Thedes to throw a runite battleaxe, severing his arm, shattering a shoulder, and breaking mandible bone. Thedes turn and ran, barely dodging falling debris as she ran northern to Drithlyn.

4 - Lit aflame

It was dark, but Michael was accustomed to it. He could hear the cacophony of the battle, feeling pained he could not join it. The barracks were right past this entrance, and he had ten soldiers with him waiting in a house, like Thedes had. He saw three horsemen rage towards this entry, the only viable one. The soldiers rustled as adrenaline rushed through their bodies. Michael pulled a ball of hollowed ivory out of his pocket, an item well known by the village.

"You dare bring one of those? You'll reveal us, or worse, you'll light the village aflame!" A soldier said. Michael remained quiet and pointed to the skies. A dense wall of flame already engulfed the skies as the village burned, a result of the Phoenix. Then, Michael threw the ball, which shattered in mid-air, leaving an obvious smoke trail and a flame without an origin burning on the ground where it had landed, barely even close to the horsemen, who simply laughed and slowed as they approached, then perplexed as to what fueled it. One of them was about to say something of mocking, but hadn't the chance. Michael whispered a word, barely audible, and the flame burst, a giant wall expanding in all directions, yet quickly fading, immediately killing the soldiers. Michael had few of these orbs left, but had no use for them, as no more soldiers came for some time. They were forced to flee to the larger battle when the flames of the Phoenix reached the Southeast Buildings.

5 - Temple

Soul had been adorned in white dragon leather armour, and a bow of treated yew, and the arrows were made likewise with tips of white kin steel. However, this would be very revealing in the now black sky and dull brick and dirt, so he smeared his leather with mud. He grew bored, actually hoping he had a battle. He wished that he could leave, but Wheyn had commanded him here. He could only leave if it was aflame, or if there was no hope of reclaiming it. A battle came for him when the Phoenix flew up to the temple and was ready to light it aflame too. The temple was brightened as the Phoenix exhaled flame into the night sky as it to scare Soul. However, Soul, being a master of invocation, of summoning, he sensed something. Two personalities, an abomination. A Phoenix is pure, and is not able to breathe flame without a mind there that has that ability - it was being controlled by a dragon, a dragon of the deepest black and of three distinct subpersonalities. A dragon corrupted by Zamorak.

"Phoenix! I shall drop my weapon, and together, we shall battle the beast that controls your body and restrains your mind!" Soul said. The Phoenix understood, and the dragon inside of it tried to do harm to Soul, but his invocation stopped this. The battle raged inbetween minds, an unseen war.

6 - The Battle's End

Drithlyn had only a stave, with a blade of runite on each end. The Northeast entry was not a hotspot - it linked to no important areas of the town other than a jailplace, which would offer no resources other than hard tack and water designed to inhibit the mind and energy. Drithlyn has grown bored, as he knew his comrades must have - the mixture of boredom and anxiety that makes any situation unbearable. And, then, suddenly, the two armies, greatly diminished in size, gave Drithlyn a great moral boost as he realized the rest of the seven peace keepers were there, but then he saw the Soul was missing. There were no flames in the temple, and they had not reached this section yet, so Drithlyn had hope.

Drithlyn joined in the battle, however, soon, he and the five other protectors were all that were left fighting the 20 remaining in the Zamorakian Forces. It was then that Soul, with the Phoenix dragon by his side, burst into the war. The Phoenix was now pure, yet had the abilities it learned from the dragon - a beautiful thing reconstructed from an abomination. The fight raged on, but came to an end when the Phoenix spit flames and melted the metal of the Zamorakian forces, and burned their skin. They died almost instantly, but the flames curved around the armour of the remaining forces of Forinthry.

It was a wonderful yet dreadful sight as the Zamorakian forces died from the Phoenix flame, their deaths done simply by their own forces.

7 - The Sky Dawn's Once More

It has been hours. The seven of them have been systematically burying the dead and blessing them, too tired to distinguish between those of Forinthry and those of Zamorak, in a mass gravesite south of their town while the Phoenix spent time healing the few hundred who had survived. It was then that they heard a voice rise from the pile of bodies, a voice shaken, hesitant, obviously not wanting to make it's presence shown.

"Please... Please let me help you... I bear no bad will." A wounded man of the 69th armada stood up among the dead. The seven protectors, except for Thedes, immediately took fighting stances, as well as the Phoenix, who exhaled a burst of flame into the air.

"Stop!" Thedes shouted. "This man is either extremely ignorant or truly willing to help. Should he try to smuggle information, we could kill him before he does that. Should he try to slay one of us, he will be killed on the spot. And, should he attempt to slay the Phoenix... Well, the flames this Phoenix uses is created from within it's body itself, a different chemical and mystical composition of that of dragons breath. Even if he had access to a dragon-ember repelling shield, it would be of no use. We tire, but no more than this man. Many of those soldiers were placed to battle us against their will, and as much as I wished to save those who were, I could not discern between them." The mans face filled with an inexpressible gratitude. He went to Thedes to attempt to say thanks, but got a rough reply in return. "However, you are still part of the lowly scum who paraded throughout the wildlands murdering and plundering, and then getting drunken on the villagers ales. I don't know if I spare you with logic or lack thereof, but I and many others wish nothing more than to rip you of your flesh and let crows pluck your eyeballs from their sockets. Now get to work helping heal, you're likely not qualified to give the sacred blessings to allow these poor people ascension. Now get to work or I may decide you don't deserve to live. Now, what's your name?"

Everybody froze for a second - For a full day, the most words that have been said at one person at a time was no longer than "Follow me, dammit!" or "Drop your blade!". After a moment of shock, the man managed to release some frail, misaligned words. "My name, I, uh, Dark. Well, that's what I'm called, my real, I, er, okay, sorry, going now." He stumbled over his words just as he did with his feet as everybody returned to their positions.

All the bodies have been buried, and the nine regrouped at the temple, along with the few others they have saved. They treated their few wounds and finally, Wheyn said, "We did it... We rid the world of an evil in less than a night. Truly the gods have blessed us..."

"A blessing? What have we gained of this? Yes, we have made a world a better place, but those men truly fought for reasons they found unjust... We lost all and gained nothing." Thedes said with a tone of exhaustion.

"Perhaps we would've gained fame, and with fame we could get help, but I know better, people will regard this as a fable..." Drithlyn said.

"Think not of this! We shall continue on, helping others. This war of the gods wreaks a havoc on us all, we could help alleviate it. We need a name, something to recognize us by, perhaps, a name that shows that help is coming or your army is falling." Michael said, and then Bankaii spoke,

"Perhaps, but, until then, we're just a fable."

ktm is teh pro
Followers
Followers
Runescape Name: CorruptWoundz
Custom Title: I own at life.

Re: The Phoenix Legions: Origins

Post by ktm is teh pro » Thu May 20, 2010 1:21 am

Nice? Would have been better if I was mentioned, seeing it is my birthday tomorrow, how thoughtful of you!

Imma A Pure
Followers
Followers
Runescape Name: Imma_A_Pure
Custom Title: The Tasty Treat

Post by Imma A Pure » Thu May 20, 2010 1:41 am

That's a pretty cool story. I was laughing a little cause I imagined little runescape guys playing out the whole thing ha ha.

A wise man once said.

Faybro
Followers
Followers
Runescape Name: Tjk
Custom Title: Jack of all trades

Post by Faybro » Thu May 20, 2010 6:10 am

ktm is teh pro wrote:Nice? Would have been better if I was mentioned, seeing it is my birthday tomorrow, how thoughtful of you!

I don't know if you're joking or not, so...

"Don't feel insulted or complimented for your role (or lack thereof) in this story."